Aboard The Victor Hugo
It has been awhile since I wrote, not because there is nothing to say but because the days in Garmisch-Partenkirchen were so filled with activity. One night after a day of hiking, I got back to the apartment thinking, "I will update the blog now", but I was so tired I gave up very quickly. G-P was wonderful and I would go back there any time, it is that magical and peaceful and quiet. That is quite a contrast with Berlin which is large and noisy. Last night it was a bit stuffy in my hotel room so I thought I would tilt the top of the window so I could get some fresh air. Traffic on Otto Braun Strasse was loud and it seemed that an ambulance or police car drove by every five minutes or so siren blaring.
I will save details of today for a later post. I boarded my river cruise boat a little before 5 and got settled in. There are 6 passengers who speak English and four of us are seated together in the dining room, Bill who is from Canada but now lives in India with his partner (who is in Canada recruiting people to come work at the school he administers in England), Allen and Margaret from York, a delightful couple in their 80s who will be married 60 years next year, and I make up our table. The other English speakers are from Australia but live in France and so understand all the announcements. Everyone else speaks French it seems. My cabin is small and utilitarian and the bed is comfortable. Tomorrow we have a tour of Berlin in the morning and go to the zoo tomorrow afternoon and then have the tour of Berlin at night. I think my regular early to bed routine may take a hit on this trip, but, you only live once, right?
When I have more time, I will try to do a more detailed post, but it is 10:24 pm now and past my bedtime.
Art
ReplyDeleteThis week end is Fleet week in San Francisco and as of this writing I see and hear the blue angels flying at break neck speed above rattling our sound barriers. Last week end 500,000 people went to Golden Gate Park for the first Strictly Blue grass concerts since 2019. This week end the city can expect at least that many enjoying this week end of Columbus Day or Indigenous
People week end. In spite of all its problems San Francisco continues to attract people from all
over the country and world. Not too long ago the SF Giants would be in the playoffs hoping for another world series chance. The NIners are on the road at Carolina and hoping to go over 500.
October weather is very nice and the October orange moon is almost full. Just a little home news while you begin your journey to Amsterdam and hope you break through with some of the French speakers. Continue to enjoy and explore. Steve